Tuesday, December 15, 2009

1250 Tournament Coming Up.

Looks like I'm going to be participating in a 1250 point tournament over at Great Escape Games (their website kinda sucks) in Sacto.  Here's a link to their rules, along with some more links at the bottom to comp/paint/sportsmanship scoring.  Their comp scoring looks kind of awful, particularly for a Space Wolf player.  With that system in mind, I'm going to try and come up with a 1250 list that works well.  Here's a shot at it:

HQ
Rune Priest w/ Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf - 100

ELITES
Lone Wolf w/ Terminator Armor, Chainfist, Stormshield, 2x Fenrisian Wolves - 105
Dreadnought w/ Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer - 115

TROOPS
Grey Hunters x 5, Meltagun, Razorback w/ Lascannon, Twin-linked Plasma Gun - 155
Grey Hunters x 5, Meltagun, Razorback w/ Lascannon, Twin-linked Plasma Gun - 155
Grey Hunters x 5, Meltagun, Razorback - 120
Grey Hunters x 5, Meltagun, Razorback - 120

FAST ATTACK
Land Speeder w/ Heavy Flamer & Multi-Melta - 70
Land Speeder w/ Heavy Flamer & Multi-Melta - 70

HEAVY SUPPORT
Vindicator w/ Dozer Blade- 120
Vindicator w/ Dozer Blade- 120

Total points = 1250

Now, I'm almost 100% positive that I'm not going to run this list, because I just don't have the models for it.  I'd have to buy all new Razorbacks (since I don't own any), another Land Speeder, and another Vindicator.  Then I would have to paint them all.  Yikes!  Considering how slowly my own painting is coming, I don't think this is a very good idea.

The other thing is that I don't think the list is very good or Space-Wolfy.  It's kinda close to something I would play, but I feel like it would get picked apart by anything with mobile anti-vehicle.  That's been a recurring problem for me, so I will have to figure out a way around it regardless, but I'm not sure I would take this to a tourney. What do you guys think?

3 comments:

  1. Firstly, in 10 years of playing I have to say that I think that is by far the worst comp scoring system I have ever seen.

    1250 is rough in general BUT that will really limit the number of big vehicles in play. The list isn't bad but you are right about it not being really fluffy. With the exception of the rune priest and lone wolf, you could call them Ultramarines.

    Now me personally, I tend to kit out my Wolves for going for the throat in CC. At 1250 I would really consider dropping one of those squads and bulking out the other 3 in Rhinos. Call it two squads of 9 and one squad of 8 guys with Power Weapons and meltas. Toss in some power fist Wolf Guard.

    Since you don't have the second Vindicator, I would drop in ML Long Fangs which come out to the same points cost for 4 ML and the squad leader. These should still be able to deal with the bulk of the armor you are likely to see (including being able to knock out your opponents land speeders). You could get a Razorback for them if you wanted to bump up the firepower a little more.

    The other alternative in general is to take a foot approach, especially since you are already fielding a dred and Lone Wolf. If you buy a second vindicator you can run you guys behind while they clear the way/draw fire. Without transports you could probably slot in a Long Fang unit or something similar anyway.

    Either way I see your list as more of a Stand and Shoot force where I've always felt that the Wolves are a run and gun assault force.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So... I can't resist list writing at all, so I thought I would throw up a couple example lists based on my earlier comments http://spacewolfgrey.com/?p=47 . I tried to stick with the comp rules so I'm not 100% happy with them (in particular I would have liked to take some Wolf Guard for the foot list) but I tried to retain elements from the list you posted originally. I did drop the Lone Wolf and Dread from the first list to since everything else was mounted so I wanted to make sure they were featured in the foot iteration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say skip it and prepare for Dundracon's 1850 tournament in Feb.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails